Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Phoning It In

I just had a delightfully painful conversation yesterday with a young (blonde) assistant. She was chattering away about the upcoming season of American Idol and the current season of Dancing with the Stars and I remarked that I did not understand how people can spend an hour on the phone calling in multiple votes for a television program.

"I just love helping someone get something they want and pushing them through to the top."

"Does that mean you're voting tomorrow?" I asked, referring to the state elections.

"No, I only vote where it counts."

This brief exchange was followed by several minutes of moral outrage where I cleary explained why she needs, why she MUST vote, and she replied in her thick Oklahoman accent, "You know what, when they make it so you can phone it in, then I'll vote."

If only Democrats could mobilize like the Claymates...

No comments: